Global Technology Division Team
Software Engineering ManagerApply Now
Software Engineering Manager
Global Technology Division Team - Full-time
Dimagi is an award-winning social enterprise and a certified B Corp and Benefit Corporation. Our primary product, CommCare, is the most widely-deployed open-source digital platform for enabling Frontline Workers. Since 2002, Governments and organizations across all sectors have built customized mobile, web, and SMS applications on CommCare to deliver services to underserved populations. Dimagi is more than a tech company. We are an impact-first team of compassionate people from all parts of the world and all walks of life, dedicated to using business as a force for good in global health and development.
About the Position
The Global Technology Division (GTD) is responsible for Dimagi’s technical strategy. To support our work, Dimagi is seeking an ambitious candidate with a technical and project management background. This position is open to remote employment within South Africa or can be based out of our office in Cape Town, South Africa. You will be required to structure your working hours to overlap with either EST working hours or the working hours of your immediate team.
Due to the nature of our offerings, the work will be challenging, but in the right ways - you'll have an opportunity to quickly dive into and learn from multiple project areas, all while making a real, positive impact. We are looking for both leaders and teachers who are charting the strategic direction of a team and who make time for project management guidance, training, and mentoring to improve the team’s effectiveness.
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will:
- Manage a team of engineers and technical staff to enable their potential and help shape the growth of the team while also ensuring the timely execution of team deliverables and helping to guide their resourcing
- Use project management skills to own the execution of technical workstreams, including proactively ensuring understanding of technical requirements and timelines, management of technical efforts, and proactive communication of status updates and information gaps
- Work with our Team Leads, Engineering Managers, Tech Leads, Applications Engineers, and Engineers to help understand the priority of technical asks and drive the engineering roadmap
- Lead sprint and product development retrospectives to gain insights into how engineering and team processes can be improved and iterated upon.
- Communicate with our project delivery team to promote an understanding of technical capabilities and limitations, timelines, and what expectations to set externally.
- Coordinate with engineers and requirements owners to manage and be accountable for technical project deliverables
- Manage project resourcing requests and facilitate communication with delivery teams
- Lead management of our third-party development partners
At the core of this position, we are looking for smart, capable, and impact-driven individuals.
- 5+ years of experience working on and guiding software teams
- Direct people management experience, as well as demonstrated experience overseeing multi-person technical projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Project management experience
- Planning and organizational skills that result in successful implementation and follow-through
- Product management or software development experience
- Enthusiasm about working in international development and/or technology for social impact
Benefits and Compensation
We aim to make a difference, not just as a company but also as an employer. We are transparent about salaries at all levels of the organization and have a standard, global pay scale for all positions that is non-negotiable. The salary for this position which is affiliated with Dimagi's Cape Town office is 1,148,057 ZAR annually.
The benefits we offer are geared towards having a strong impact on our staff’s well-being. A few of our key benefits are outlined below:
- 100% employer-sponsored medical insurance
- 5% match to Employees’ Retirement Fund
- Employee stock option plan
- 30 days paid time off inclusive of holidays
- Unlimited sick time and excellent parental leave policy
- Access to a flex-time policy that allows employees to work based on a flexible work schedule
- Professional Development Benefit
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through Magellan Healthcare
Dimagi is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or a reasonable accommodation during the application or interview process for a posted position, please contact us at 617-604-2123 or send an email to email@example.com detailing your request.