Global Technology Division Team
Data EngineerApply Now
Global Technology Division Team - Full-time
Dimagi is an award-winning social enterprise and a certified B-corp and Benefit Corporation. We build software solutions and provide technology consulting services to improve the quality of essential services for underserved populations. Our open-source technology platform, CommCare, is the world’s most widely-used and researched mobile data collection platform for frontline workers. Our choice to be a certified B-Corp and to legally incorporate as a Benefit Corporation sends a clear signal to our partners, our team members, and our communities that we not only believe but also take action in using business as a force for good. This approach combines our passion and commitment to tackle complex health and social inequities and work towards a brighter future for all.
About the Global Technology Division
The Global Technology Division's mission is to lead Dimagi’s technical strategy and ensure quality on our platform. Most of our team members operate in a matrix, where they collaborate with other technical team members and benefit from shared knowledge, experience, and comradery, while also being assigned to a business division to help align technical and business goals.
About the Position
Dimagi is looking for a Data Engineer to join our Global Technology Division supporting our US Health Team. This position will be affiliated with our Cambridge, MA office but is open to remote employment within the United States. This position will span across functional areas, informing the design and architecture of our existing Data Platform.
The Data Engineer will be part of Dimagi's US Health Division's Technology team, a set of skilled engineers, product managers, application engineers, and data specialists supporting current and future project work focused on enhancing and maintaining Dimagi’s Data Platform.
This position is ideal for someone who enjoys small organizations, multi-tasking, and a highly flexible work environment. As a member of a lean team, you will be expected to wear many hats, embrace innovation and will have the opportunity to make a real, significant impact!
As a Data Engineer, you will:
- Be responsible for the technical execution and consultation on the technical strategy of the Data Platform tech stack working closely with the Data Platform Product Manager and CommCare engineers.
- Bring rigor to CommCare data extraction, loading and transformation enabling the development of efficient and reliable data pipelines and their long term management.
- Develop and support data warehouse transformations via SQL stored procedures or supplementary tools like dbt and Snowflake.
- Define critical monitoring processes to ensure the health of data pipelines and own administration processes (user permissioning, governance activities, etc.).
- Perform periodic maintenance of data system infrastructure systems under the guidance of senior technical team members.
- Coordinate with internal and external clients on the design of enterprise data architectures towards compatibility with CommCare data.
- Conduct ad hoc analysis and support the development of Business Intelligence visualizations using Tableau and other tools.
- Support training sessions to empower Dimagi staff to intuitively consume information from the data platform and conduct research to proposed improvements to the Data Platform tech stack.
The ideal candidate will have some or all of the following experience:
- 2+ years of experience in data engineering
- A strong understanding of cloud computing technologies (AWS, Snowflake, etc.)
- Expertise in writing SQL for analysis and data engineering purposes
- Experience with Python and associated data-oriented toolkits
- Experience building data pipelines with ELT/ETL tools like Talend, Prefect, Matillion, FiveTran, Apache Airflow, dbt, etc.
- A strong grasp of dimensional modeling concepts (e.g. OLAP cubes, star schemas, kimball architecture vs. alternatives like inmon)
- Experience with a diversity of data ingestion, processing and storage concepts and relevant technologies
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US (this position is not eligible for visa sponsorship)
- Experience in data architecture, social enterprise frameworks, data integration and harmonization, data strategy and governance, impactful data lakes, data operations and delivery and data ingestion frameworks supporting batch/real-time
- Experience writing and maintaining production ready code in a high level programming language (Python, Java, C++ etc.)
- Experience with data analysis software (Python, Jupyter Notebooks, R, etc.) and data visualization tools (Tableau, Power BI, Superset, etc.). Extensive analytics or data science expertise is not required.
- Familiar with working in an agile software development environment, using JIRA and Asana to handle tasks between technical and client-facing teams
- Healthcare experience: either in healthcare data or public health data collection methodologies and workflows
Benefits and Compensation
We aim to make a difference, not just as a company but also as an employer! We are transparent about salaries at all levels of the organization and have a standard, global pay scale for all positions. Our salaries are cost of living adjusted and non-negotiable. The estimated salary range for this position is 72,607 - 104861 USD annually. Your final salary within the range will be dependent on where you are geographically based and might fall outside of this estimated range.
However, the benefits we offer are geared towards having a strong impact on our staff’s well-being. A few of our key benefits are outlined below:
- 100% employer-sponsored medical insurance paired with a generous Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) fund
- Access to voluntary dental and vision insurance plans
- A 401K plan with up to a 4% employer match
- Employee stock option plan
- 30 days paid time off inclusive of holidays
- Unlimited sick time and excellent parental leave policy
- Access to a flex-time policy that allows employees to work based on a flexible work schedule
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through Magellan Healthcare
Dimagi is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, national origin, family or parental status, veteran or disability status.