Global Technology Division Team
Engineering ManagerApply Now
Global Technology Division Team - Full-time
Dimagi is an award-winning social enterprise and a certified B-corp and Benefit Corporation. We build software solutions and provide technology consulting services to improve the quality of essential services for underserved populations. Our open-source technology platform, CommCare, is the world’s most widely-used and researched mobile data collection platform for frontline workers. Our choice to be a certified B-Corp and Benefit Corporation sends a clear signal to our partners, our team members, and our communities that we not only believe but also take action in using business as a force for good. Together they combine our passion and commitment to tackle complex health and social inequities and work towards a brighter future for all.
About the Position:
To support our work, Dimagi is seeking an ambitious candidate with a technical and project management background. This position is based out of our office in Cape Town, South Africa, however, it is also open to remote employment within South Africa.
As an Engineering Manager you will:
- Manage a team of engineers and technical staff to enable their potential and help shape the growth of the team, while also ensuring timely execution of team deliverables and helping to guide their resourcing
- Use project management skills to own the execution of technical workstreams, including proactively ensuring understanding of technical requirements and timelines, management of technical efforts, and proactive communication of status updates and information gaps
- Coordinate with engineers and requirements owners to manage and be accountable for technical project deliverables
- Manage resourcing requests and facilitate communication between divisional leads
Due to the nature of our offerings, the work will be challenging, but in the right ways - you'll have an opportunity to quickly dive into and learn from multiple project areas, all while making a real, positive impact. We are looking for both leaders and teachers who are charting the strategic direction of a team and who make time for project management guidance, training, and mentoring to improve the team’s effectiveness.
Who You Must Be:
At the core of this position, we are looking for smart, capable, and impact-driven individuals. For that reason, please consider the following requirements listed as general “guidelines” vs. strict qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience working on and guiding software teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Direct people management experience, as well as demonstrated experience overseeing multi-person technical projects
- Project management experience
- Planning and organizational skills that result in successful implementation and follow-through
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Able to drive technical strategic conversations with a range of stakeholders.
- Ability to manage the priority of work streams with multiple stakeholders and timelines.
- Demonstrated initiative and comfort with unstructured problems in a diverse environment
- Self-motivated team player, with proven capabilities to lead a project independently
- Ability to work with all levels of an organization and manage conflicts in a constructive and solution-oriented manner
- Strong, innovative and creative problem solver with good analytical capability
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple project tracks and workstreams
- Excellent time management and efficient working practices
- Quick learner, collaborative, and client-oriented
- Able to quickly adopt the use of Dimagi systems and tools e.g. Jira, Asana, Confluence
- Fluent in oral and written English
- Experience facilitating and managing engineering teams using sprint / agile / scrum methodologies
- Product management or software development experience
- Enthusiasm about working in international development and/or technology for social impact
We aim to make a difference, not just as a company but also as an employer. We are transparent about salaries at all levels of the organization and have a standard, global pay scale for all positions that is non-negotiable. The salary for this position is 1,057,103 ZAR annually.
However, the benefits we offer are geared towards having a strong impact on our staff well-being. A few of our key benefits are outlined below:
- 100% employer-sponsored medical insurance
- 5% match to Employees’ Retirement Fund
- Stock Option Plan
- 30 days paid time off inclusive of holidays
- Unlimited sick leave and excellent parental leave policy
- Access to a flex-time policy that allows employees to work based on a flexible work schedule
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through Magellan Healthcare
- Occasional opportunities to travel internationally
Dimagi is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, national origin, family or parental status, veteran or disability status.