Global Technology Division Team
Data Warehouse AdministratorApply Now
Data Warehouse Administrator
Global Technology Division Team - Full-time
Dimagi is a social enterprise and Benefit Corporation that builds software solutions and provides technology consulting services to improve the quality of essential services for underserved populations. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Dimagi partners alongside governments, leading NGOs, and foundations such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID, and the World Bank to tackle complex health and social inequities. Our open source technology platform, CommCare, is the world’s most widely-used and researched mobile data collection platform for frontline workers. To date, Dimagi’s team of project managers, engineers, and health experts have supported over 2,000 projects in 80 countries.
About the US Health Division
When COVID-19 came to the US, Dimagi sprang into action. We were among the first on the scene to support efforts in the United States, rolling out a web-based contact tracing system for the City of San Francisco in a few weeks. Today, our US Health Division works on COVID-19 Response to roll out statewide and local contact tracing technology and is expanding into a variety of public health use cases across the US.
About the Position
Dimagi is looking for a Data Warehouse Administrator to join our US Health Division. This position will be affiliated with our Cambridge, MA office but the employee can be based anywhere within the United States. This position will span across functional areas, informing the design and architecture of an existing data pipeline and data warehouse, and supporting analysis to generate insights for internal and external teams.
The Data Warehouse Administrator will be part of Dimagi's US Health Division's Technology team, a set of skilled engineers, product managers, application engineers, and data specialists supporting current and future project work by continually improving Dimagi's CommCare platform and related software.
This position is ideal for someone who enjoys small organizations, multi-tasking, and a highly flexible work environment. Our developers share a passion for making things work in challenging situations and seeing the impact of our work first-hand. We are looking for individuals with a strong foundational skill-set in the administration of warehousing systems, along with a drive to apply those skills in broad ways as our team collaborates on creative ways to solve problems.
The work will be challenging, but in the right ways - you'll have an opportunity to quickly dive into and learn from multiple project areas, all while making a real, positive impact. Opportunities include but are not limited to:
- Learning about CommCare application design, implementation, and customer success processes and workflows.
- Gaining exposure to Snowflake Data Warehouse to build your skills in these areas.
- Consulting on important design and architecture decisions to inform the team’s approach to novel solutions
As the Data Warehouse Administrator, you will:
- Advise internal and external clients on the design of data warehouse and data lake assets to ensure they are optimized for analytic workflows
- In collaboration with internal technical team members and external contractors develop data pipeline workflows (i.e., ETL) for data sources that originate from Dimagi's flagship product (CommCare) and other data sources that belong to our clients
- Support the development and adaptation of existing Tableau workbooks to generate descriptive visuals and analysis to support exploratory data analysis and business intelligence reporting
- Develop training resources and conduct training sessions to empower Dimagi staff to utilize the data warehouse and Tableau Server environment fully
- Conduct monitoring and evaluation activities to monitor system integrity. This will include reviewing standardized reports and generating ad-hoc analyses based upon user feedback from support channels.
- Manage users and permissions in the Dimagi US Health Tableau Server environment.
- Conduct internal research to identify data reporting needs for Dimagi's US Health clients and contribute to requirements-gathering and documentation for indicators and reporting deliverables.
- Conduct external research to identify data reporting recommendations that could be adapted to improve internal and external reporting capabilities.
- On an as-needed basis, conduct time-sensitive data analysis tasks (i.e.., SQL queries, etc.) to answer project-specific questions about technology usage and indicators. This may require communicating these findings directly to project clients, as well as to Dimagi stakeholders.
Required Experience and Skills
The ideal candidate will have some or all of the following types of professional experience:
- 2+ years of experience in database or data warehouse development (AWS, RDS, SQL Server, Oracle, Snowflake)
- Solid understanding of analytic data architecture and data modeling concepts and principles, including data lakes, warehouses and marts
- Experience applying knowledge of different data architectures to support choosing appropriate tools and technologies
- Experience with regular maintenance activities towards the upkeep of data warehousing systems for long term availability and sustainability
- Familiarity with relevant software, especially data analysis software (Python / Jupyter Notebook / R) and data visualization tools (Tableau, Power BI, Superset, etc.). This includes the ability to configure and/or deploy these types of tools; extensive analytic or data science expertise is not required.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US (this position is not eligible for visa sponsorship)
- Familiar with working in an agile software development environment, using JIRA and Asana to manage tasks between technical and client-facing teams
- Healthcare experience: either in healthcare data or public health data collection methodologies and workflows
- Snowflake Data Warehouse: Account administration, user permissioning, data warehouse architecture, etc.
- Data Pipeline: experience with ETL/Data Loading tools (e.g., Talend, Matillion, Pentaho, FiveTran, Apache Airflow)
- Experience presenting findings of research or analysis to senior stakeholders and clearly documenting requirements for analysis work-products or deliverables
At Dimagi, we aim to make a difference, not just as a company, but as an employer as well. The benefits we offer are geared towards having a strong impact on our staff’s well-being. A few of our key benefits are outlined below:
- 100% employer-sponsored medical insurance paired with a generous Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) fund
- A 401K plan with up to a 4% employer match
- 30 days paid time off inclusive of holidays
- Unlimited sick time, excellent parental leave policy, and a strong focus on work-life balance
- Access to a flex-time policy that allows employees to work based on a flexible work schedule
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through Magellan Healthcare, to name a few
Dimagi is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, family or parental status, veteran, or disability status.