Solutions Division Team
Director of Strategic Partnerships - Africa RegionApply Now
Director of Strategic Partnerships - Africa Region
Solutions Division Team - Full-time
Dimagi is a social enterprise and Benefit Corporation whose mission is to create sustainable impact for underserved populations through innovative technology solutions for frontline workforces. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Dimagi partners alongside governments, leading NGOs, and foundations such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID, and the World Bank to tackle complex health and social inequities. Our open source technology platform, CommCare, is the world’s most widely-used and researched data collection platform for frontline workers. To date, Dimagi’s team of project managers, engineers, and health experts have supported more than 2,000 projects worldwide.
About the Position
Dimagi is seeking a Director of Strategic Partnerships of the Africa Region for our Solutions Division, our largest division that drives our most widely scaled global health projects around the world. Under your strategic leadership, we aim to advance Dimagi’s mission: to create sustainable impact for underserved populations through innovative technology solutions for frontline workforces.
In this role, you will drive the partnership strategy for the Solutions Division to break into and grow Dimagi’s portfolio with targeted strategic partners, including multilateral organizations, government agencies, iNGOs, and foundations in sub-Saharan Africa. You will have the opportunity to rapidly utilize skillsets across multiple areas - including partnership development, strategic thinking, thought leadership, account management, and team development and leadership - to further amplify Dimagi’s impact as a leading social enterprise and changemaker in the technology for good space. You will be accountable for a 3-5 person team of incredible partnerships professionals, all working to generate opportunities that deliver high impact to some of the world’s most underserved communities. The work will be challenging, but in the right ways where there are ample opportunities to try and test new strategies, all while making a real, positive impact.
Our regional office is located in Cape Town, South Africa, but this position is open to remote employment for a candidate based in Africa. This position will be working closely with our leadership team based in the US and South Africa and will be required to take some calls during EST or SAST working hours.
- Lead the continuous improvement and implementation of the Partnerships and Business Development strategy, including contributing to annual target setting within the overall Dimagi corporate strategy.
- Drive large opportunities to close and achieve a personal revenue target, in addition to supporting your team in achieving their own goals.
- Provide oversight, professional development and mentorship to 3-5 partnerships professionals in the team.
- Serve as the “backstop” for members of our partnerships team, including being available to provide advisory support to our Africa-focused partnerships professionals in achieving outcomes and forming and maintaining relationships.
- Responsible for running or supporting the execution of various team operations mechanisms - including Salesforce reports, opportunity review, budgets, and key collateral generation, as well as identifying key metrics to drive team success.
- Build and nurture relationships and perform key account management with strategic prospective and existing donors.
- Represent Dimagi through innovation-related knowledge sharing forums in Africa and elsewhere - including presenting at industry conferences, joining innovation working groups, liaising with other partner organizations doing similar work, etc.
- Work directly with senior leaders to identify more advanced innovation areas and propose a strategy to bring them into Dimagi’s core offerings.
Knowledge & Skills
At the core of this position, we are looking for smart, capable, motivated, and impact-driven people. As an experienced leader, we recognize that you will be joining the company with your own strengths and views of structuring this role in alignment with our team’s needs. As such, please consider the following areas listed to be general “guidelines” vs. strict qualifications:
- A minimum of 5 years in international development and in a senior partnerships role - focusing on proposals, grant development, and/or business development in the social impact space.
- Deep knowledge of or experience facilitating partnerships for “technology for good” or technology innovation products.
- Fluency in English as well as fluency or professional knowledge of French
- Has a personal network and deep understanding of health programs in the international development space, especially in West and Central Africa.
- Strong skills in managing, leading, and positively motivating multi-disciplinary teams and bringing virtual teams across time zones together.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills as well as a clear excitement to engage with external stakeholders - including giving presentations to potential funders or at industry conferences.
- Have owned a multi-million dollar donor account portfolio, as well as a track record of exceeding sales targets.
- Highly organized and able to multitask while also maintaining a focus on small details.
- Graduate-level degree in a relevant field, including public health, business, government, etc.
- Willingness to travel for up to 10% of your time.
We aim to make a difference, not just as a company, but as an employer as well. Given our social mission, our budgeted salary scale is more in-line with that of a non-profit organization. However, the benefits we offer are geared towards having a strong impact on our staff’s well being. The benefits provided to you will be based on where you are located.
Dimagi is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate and support diversity and all employment decisions are based on individual qualifications.