Global Technology Division Team
Engineering ManagerApply Now
Global Technology Division Team - Full-time
Dimagi is a social enterprise and Benefit Corporation that builds software solutions and provides technology consulting services to improve the quality of essential services for underserved populations. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Dimagi partners alongside governments, leading NGOs, and foundations such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID, and the World Bank to tackle complex health and social inequities. Our open source technology platform, CommCare, is the world’s most widely-used and researched mobile data collection platform for frontline workers. To date, Dimagi’s team of project managers, engineers, and health experts have supported over 2,000 projects in 80 countries.
When COVID-19 came to the US, Dimagi sprung into action. We were among the first on the scene to support efforts in the United States, rolling out a web-based contact tracing system for the City of San Francisco in a few weeks. Today, our COVID-19 Response team works in some of the hardest-hit areas of the United States to roll out statewide and local contact tracing technology.
About the Position
To support this work, Dimagi is seeking an ambitious candidate with a technical and project management background to join our US Health team to support our COVID-19 response work. This position can be based out of our office in Cambridge, MA, but is also open to remote employment within the United States.
As the US Health Engineering Manager you will:
- Manage a team of engineers and technical staff to enable their potential and help shape the growth of the team, while also ensuring timely execution of team deliverables and helping to guide their resourcing
- Use project management skills to own the execution of technical work streams, including proactively ensuring understanding of technical requirements and timelines, management of technical efforts, and proactive communication of status updates and information gaps
- Work with our Technical Lead and Product Manager to help understand the priority of technical asks and drive the engineering roadmap
- Communicate with our project delivery team to promote understanding of technical capabilities and limitations, timelines, and what expectations to set externally, as well as to engage in collaborative solutioning to address current challenges and mitigate risks
- Coordinate between engineers and requirements owners to manage and be accountable for technical project deliverables
- Lead management of our third party development partners to implement project features, guiding the technical process and working with the project team from scoping to delivery
Due to the nature of COVID-19 response, the work will be challenging, but in the right ways - you'll have an opportunity to quickly dive into and learn from multiple project areas, all while making a real, positive impact. We are looking for both leaders and teachers who are charting the strategic direction of a team and who make time for project management guidance, training, and mentoring to improve the project's effectiveness.
At the core of this position, we are looking for smart, capable, and impact-driven individuals. For that reason, please consider the following requirements listed as general “guidelines” vs. strict qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience working on and leading software teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Direct people management experience, as well as demonstrated experience leading multi-person technical projects
- Product management or software development experience
- Project management experience
- Planning and organizational skills that result in successful implementation and follow through
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Able to drive technical strategic conversations with a range of stakeholders.
- Ability to manage the priority of workstreams with multiple stakeholders and timelines.
- Demonstrated initiative and comfort with unstructured problems in a diverse environment
- Self-motivated team player, with proven capabilities to lead a project independently
- Ability to work with all levels of an organization and manage conflicts in a constructive and solution-oriented manner
- Strong, innovative and creative problem solver with good analytical capability
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple project tracks and work streams
- Excellent time management and efficient working practices
- Quick learner, collaborative, and client-oriented
- Able to quickly adopt the use of Dimagi systems and tools e.g. Google Calendar, Google Docs, Dropbox, Skype, WhatsApp
- Fluent in oral and written English
- Enthusiasm about working in Public Health and International Development
At Dimagi, we aim to make a difference, not just as a company, but as an employer as well. The benefits we offer are geared towards having a strong impact on our staff’s well being. A few of our key benefits are outlined below:
- 100% employer-sponsored medical insurance paired with a generous Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) fund
- Access to voluntary dental and vision insurance plans
- A 401K plan with up to a 4% employer match
- 30 days paid time off inclusive of holidays
- Unlimited sick time, excellent parental leave policy, and a strong focus on work-life balance
- Access to a flex-time policy that allows employees to work based on a flexible work schedule
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through Magellan Healthcare
Dimagi is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, family or parental status, veteran, or disability status.