Global Technology Division Team
Cape Town, South Africa
Junior Full Stack DeveloperApply Now
Junior Full Stack Developer
Cape Town, South Africa
Global Technology Division Team - Full-time
Dimagi is a social enterprise and Benefit Corporation that builds software solutions and provides technology consulting services to improve the quality of essential services for underserved populations. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Dimagi partners alongside governments, leading NGOs, and foundations such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID, and the World Bank to tackle complex health and social inequities. Our open-source technology platform, CommCare, is the world’s most widely-used and researched mobile data collection platform for frontline workers. To date, Dimagi’s team of project managers, engineers, and health experts have supported over 2,000 projects in 80 countries.
About the position:
Our Global technology team helps to develop and improve our platform’s architecture and implementation. Since CommCare is used for applications related to many different types of problems, from agricultural extension education to improving delivery outcomes at birth, the software is written as a portable application engine. That means we don’t often build custom code for specific projects. Our team works from high, strategic, and functional levels on our products, down to the low technical level of implementation.
Dimagi is looking for a Junior Full Stack Developer to join our Global Technology team. This position can be based out of our Cape Town office but is also open to remote work from home employment within South Africa.
This position is ideal for someone who enjoys small organizations, multi-tasking, and a highly flexible work environment. Our developers share a passion for making things work in challenging situations and seeing the impact of our work first-hand.
Responsibilities of this role include:
- Build new features using modern best-practices such as version control, continuous integration, automated tests, and daily deploys
- Collaborate with our multicultural development and implementation teams around the globe
- Build software usable by groups of people facing unique challenges (remote locations, low levels of literacy, no experience with technology, etc.)
- Participate in an agile process, code reviews, and release testing
Who You Must Be:
- Bachelors in Computer Science with an Honours Degree OR 2+ years of work experience in software development for the web
- Comfortable developing enterprise-quality software in a high-level language such as Python or Ruby
- Background in building software for the web
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills and desire to write clean, correct, and efficient code
- Authorized to work in South Africa
- Enthusiasm about working in public health and international development
As a social enterprise our salaries are more in line with that of a non-profit organization. The salary range for this position is :
608,101 - 684,113 ZAR per annum
However, we aim to make a difference, not just as a company, but as an employer as well. The benefits we offer are geared towards having a strong impact on our staff’s well being. A few of our key benefits included in the cost-to-company are outlined below:
- 100% employer-sponsored medical insurance
- Employees’ Retirement Fund
- Stock Option Plan
- 30 days paid time off inclusive of holidays
- Unlimited sick time and excellent parental leave policy
- Access to a flex-time policy that allows employees to work based on a flexible work schedule
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through Magellan Healthcare
- Occasional opportunities to travel internationally
Dimagi is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate and support diversity and all employment decisions are based on individual qualifications.