Solutions Division Team
Bahir Dar, Ethiopia
Project Manager, Ethiopia (Bahir Dar)Apply Now
Project Manager, Ethiopia (Bahir Dar)
Bahir Dar, Ethiopia
Solutions Division Team - Full-time
Duration of Contract: 24 months, with possibility of extension
Location: Bahir Dar, Ethiopia
Important: Position is contingent on funding
Dimagi was born from the belief that there’s a better way to provide services to those in need. Our mission is to create digital products that support global development efforts and help accelerate the end of extreme poverty. CommCare, our mobile data collection platform, is designed to improve data collection and the quality of frontline services in low-resource settings around the world. We work across various sectors with organizations of all sizes providing mobile solutions that put end-users first. Working with partners that include the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID, CARE International, and the World Bank, Dimagi has successfully implemented CommCare and supported 2,000 projects across 80 countries. Dimagi is a certified Benefit Corporation and leading social enterprise, working since 2002 towards our commitment to making an impact.
Dimagi works on a broad range of international development issues, including strengthening community health information systems, digital care coordination, and digital tools for strengthening agricultural extension programs.
About the position:
Dimagi is recruiting for an anticipated Project Manager to represent Dimagi in Ethiopia, contingent on funding, as it works with its partners to implement mobile technology-first platforms to provide food and nutritional security services in the Amhara region of Ethiopia, with a potential to scale to other regions as required. This will be a 24-month fixed-term contract with possibility for extension, contingent on continued funding.
Dimagi works on a broad range of digital development programs, including strengthening community health programs, agricultural extension programs, data-driven performance management, and remote data collection. The work we do involves design and training sessions with frontline service delivery workers, development and large scale deployment of mobile and web based applications, dashboards, integrations with national reporting and data warehousing systems and intense collaboration and coordination with partners and governments to ensure the broader success of their programs. This role will also collaborate closely with Dimagi's teams in South Africa and the USA.
You will provide project management, technical consulting, capacity building, and training of trainer services associated with developing and deployment of a system strengthening IT program. You will have the opportunity to become an expert on mobile and digital platforms (like CommCare) and develop solutions that enable people to live healthier and more secure lives. You will be working in an agile environment with a dynamic, multi-skilled team of Dimagi’s product managers, engineers, and development specialists. You will work directly side-by-side with Dimagi’s partners in Ethiopia, in close collaboration and with the support of the broader Dimagi team that is located out of country.
The successful candidate will proactively drive the project, including setting up concrete project management and communication systems, engaging with program partners and stakeholders, identifying key levers for project success, mitigating risks, and establishing Dimagi as a strong program partner. The candidate will serve as a bridge between in-country partners and Dimagi’s global team, including technical staff, managers, designers, etc.
Responsibilities of this role:
- Represent Dimagi in its interactions with clients and other partners in Ethiopia
- Coordinate efforts between partners in Ethiopia and the broader Dimagi project and engineering teams
- Gather requirements for the ongoing development, refinement, and expansion of the client's software applications
- Manage expectations of project stakeholders in terms of system features, capabilities, and service standards. Manage the project with an eye to the big picture as it relates to long term sustainability, strategic value, and impact of the overall intervention.
- Coordinate with partners and vendors both within and outside of Ethiopia to ensure an end-to-end solution
- Prepare and maintain project plans outlining the activities, necessary steps, risks, and dependencies of given work streams as the project progresses and report updates on a regular basis
- Lead meetings to review project progress, mitigate risks, coordinate tasks, and ensure quality implementation, with the client’s designated teams
- Conduct training of trainers and other capacity building on Dimagi’s technology systems
- Work alongside partners to visit implementation sites and gather feedback on both the software application and the implementation model for its rollout
- Sustainability planning for eventual handover of systems to the government
- Travel as needed for partner meetings, field visits, and ToTs, as needed
- Other responsibilities as required, to ensure the success of Dimagi’s work in Ethiopia.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience, including 2+ years of experience in agile project management delivering technology solutions
- Self-starter who can work with minimal supervision and operate reliably working remotely
- Excellent proactive, communication skills
- Excellent partnership management experience. Ability to represent us in meetings at various levels. Experience of having managed expectations in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Highly adaptable and able to learn
- Well organized and able to handle a high volume email inbox.
- Interested in technology design and able to grasp and manipulate technological concepts quickly
- Comfortable with or able to learn quickly software tools such as Asana, G Suite, and Skype
- Professional fluency in oral and written English
- Professional fluency in oral Amharic
- Willing to travel from time to time to other cities and rural field sites, as feasible
- Familiarity with the Productive Safety Net Program (PSNP), the Ethiopia Agricultural Extension System including Development Agents (DA), and/or the Electronic Community Health Information System (eCHIS)
- Experience working with the government of Ethiopia at the zonal, regional, and/or national levels
- Experience working in a multicultural environment
- Conversational fluency in Oromo or Tigraian language
Compensation: Compensation will be competitive with market rates. The consultant will be reimbursed for any travel or business-related expenses.
Dimagi is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate and support diversity and all employment decisions are based on individual qualifications.
If interested, please include your CV and cover letter in English with the application below.