Dakar, Dakar Region, Senegal
Director of People OperationsApply Now
Director of People Operations
Dakar, Dakar Region, Senegal
Operations Team - Full-time
Title: Director of People Operations
Organization: Dimagi West Africa
Location of Assignment: Dakar, Senegal
Language(s) Required: English and French
Dimagi’s innovative open-source mobile technology improves the health and well-being of underserved populations in over 50 countries. We are a small, whip-smart, diverse, dedicated team and we LOVE what we do! At Dimagi, we care about impact, team satisfaction, and profit (in that order). Do you share in these values? Have a strong desire to work in the technology-for-good space? If you answered yes to these questions, then we want you to join us on the next leg of our journey!
Who You Are:
Dimagi is looking for a Director of People Operations to join our global People Operations team based out of Senegal, Dakar. The Director of People Operations will work closely with the Country Director, Global Director of People Operations, local Management team and local People Operations team to maintain and further establish team development at Dimagi West Africa, while greatly enhancing our human resources operations. The position will drive initiatives across a range of areas for Dimagi West Africa, including: employee relations; recruiting; talent development; HR policies, processes & compliance; benefits and compensation; office management; and other areas as assigned.
This position will be managed by the Global Director of People Operations. Candidates must be eligible to work in Senegal. This is a great opportunity for someone with extensive People Operations experience who wants to work for an impact-focused organization, and is excited by the challenges of managing People Operations for a 15-20 person office within a global company. Proven experience successfully managing People Operations within Senegal and in the Tech Industry are highly desired.
The Consultant will carry out the following activities:
- Manage Human Resources at Dimagi West Africa:
- Serve as single point person on all personnel/HR related questions in West Africa, in coordination with the global Operations team
- Maintain and evolve Dimagi’s HR policies and processes within West Africa
- Manage complex HR issues, and be the front line for HR complaints, concerns, or suggestions
- Monitor team satisfaction, team excellence and drive initiatives to keep these strong, in close collaboration with our global Operations team and other relevant departments
- Office Management and General Administration - Manage and support a direct report who is responsible for:
- General office management and team operations, as well as other office support staff
- Day-to-day administration of our office, including: managing support staff; maintaining relationships with external vendors; ensuring safety and security of the office; inventory management and procurement
- Internal IT vendor management, including designing and managing processes for staff to get IT support as needed
- Support planning and coordination of company events e.g. off site retreats and workshops
- Benefits and Compensation:
- Manage monthly payroll and payroll compliance, including managing a 3rd party payroll vendor
- Lead review of Dimagi West Africa benefits, integrating broader company goals and market data
- Help define compensation and incentive structures across global Dimagi
- Lead and coordinate Dimagi West Africa’s recruiting efforts, including hiring strategy, candidate sourcing, screening, and offers
- Partner with our West Africa management team to improve and refine our recruiting process
- Talent Development:
- Manage and coordinate onboarding for new-hires and off-boarding for employees leaving the organization
- Support the West Africa management team to ensure that staff are receiving regular direction, actionable feedback, and career development guidance in coordination with their manager
- Monitoring and facilitating the strong and effective execution of Dimagi’s performance review program at Dimagi West Africa
- Contribute to the strengthening of Dimagi’s performance review program, from the perspective of Dimagi West Africa
- Do all of the above and more, while maintaining Dimagi’s mission and culture!
- BA/MA in related fields of study with 8-12 years experience in Human Resources and Administration
- Strong track record leading HR, including
- Developing and implementing HR policies
- Managing employee relations and HR concerns
- HR processes, such as benefit administration and payroll
- Personnel management
- Experience managing individuals or a team
- Strong track record leading successful local recruitment initiatives, including
- Experience in sourcing candidates through various channels
- Demonstrated experience developing recruitment plans and strategies
- Generalist skill set needed, including ability to manage an office in a startup environment
- Strong Global working knowledge and understanding of HR best practices
- Excellent oral and written English & French
- Experience and enthusiasm for creating and implementing HR specific staff-wide training
Qualities and Knowledge Consultant Must Have:
- Works independently with initiative to manage high volume and sensitive workflow, may structure work of staff members.
- Interacts with diplomacy and tact, and follow-ups on requests in timely and efficient manner.
- Resourceful through technology, research, and relationship-building among several organization teams, units and professional organizations
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Produces detail-oriented work with a high level of accuracy
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem-solve using a collaborative approach with a variety of work functions and cultures.
- Able to maintain confidentiality for sensitive Human Resources issues or projects and use judgment and decision-making to execute duties and responsibilities.
- Possesses working knowledge of employment regulations, e.g. labor/employee relations statutes.
- Comfortable participating in professional HR activities and events to stay current with HR practices.
- Possesses working knowledge of relevant software, including Google Apps, Microsoft Office Suite and Applicant Tracking Systems. Ability to learn new software tools as needed to maximize the efficiency of our recruiting.
The consultant will report to Global Director of People Operations on a weekly basis to demonstrate fulfillment of their objectives and responsibilities. Guidance and support will be provided by the Dimagi West Africa Country Director as well.
If interested, please apply directly through our website. The application deadline is June 24, 2018, we will start reviewing all applications post the deadline.
As a mission driven social enterprise, the position comes with a starting salary that is probably below what you could get working at a larger corporation, and exact compensation varies based on experience. If income is the primary goal for you, Dimagi may not be a good fit. However, we do aim to offer the best benefits possible, including 100% employer sponsored medical insurance , Employees’ Retirement Fund, a stock option plan, access to a flex time policy that allows for employees to work based on a flexible work schedule, 30 days paid time off/holiday, 10 personal initiative days and opportunities to travel internationally, to name a few.