Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Director of People OperationsApply Now
Director of People Operations
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Operations Team - Full-time
Dimagi’s innovative open-source mobile technology improves the health and well-being of under-served populations in over 50 countries. We are a small, whip-smart, diverse, dedicated team and we LOVE what we do! At Dimagi, we care about impact, team satisfaction, and profit (in that order). Do you share in these values? Have a strong desire to work in the technology-for-good space? If you answered yes to these questions, then we want you to join us on the next leg of our journey!
Who You Are:
Dimagi is looking for a Director of People Operations to join our global People Operations team based out of Cape Town, South Africa. The Director of People Operations will work closely with the Country Director, Global Director of People Operations, local Management team and local People Operations team to maintain and further establish team development at Dimagi South Africa, while greatly enhancing our human resources operations. The position will drive initiatives across a range of areas for Dimagi South Africa, including: employee relations; recruiting; talent development; HR policies, processes & compliance; benefits and compensation; office management; and other areas as assigned.
This position will be managed by the Global Director of People Operations. Candidates must be eligible to work in South Africa. This is a great opportunity for someone with extensive People Operations experience who wants to work for an impact-focused organization, and is excited by the challenges of managing People Operations for a 15-20 person office within a global company. Proven experience successfully managing People Operations within South Africa and in the Tech Industry are highly desired.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage Human Resources at Dimagi South Africa:
- Serve as single point person on all personnel/HR related questions in South Africa, in coordination with the global Operations team
- Maintain and evolve Dimagi’s HR policies and processes within South Africa
- Manage complex HR issues, and be the front line for HR complaints, concerns, or suggestions
- Monitor team satisfaction, team excellence and drive initiatives to keep these strong, in close collaboration with our global Operations team and other relevant departments
- Office Management and General Administration - Manage and support a direct report who is responsible for:
- General office management and team operations, as well as other office support staff
- Day-to-day administration of our office, including: managing support staff; maintaining relationships with external vendors; ensuring safety and security of the office; inventory management and procurement
- Internal IT vendor management, including designing and managing processes for staff to get IT support as needed
- Support planning and coordination of company events e.g. off site retreats and workshops
- Benefits and Compensation:
- Manage monthly payroll and payroll compliance, including managing a 3rd party payroll vendor
- Lead review of Dimagi South Africa benefits, integrating broader company goals and market data
- Help define compensation and incentive structures across global Dimagi
- Lead and coordinate Dimagi South Africa’s recruiting efforts, including hiring strategy, candidate sourcing, screening, and offers
- Partner with our South Africa management team to improve and refine our recruiting process
- Talent Development:
- Manage and coordinate onboarding for new-hires and off-boarding for employees leaving the organization
- Support the South Africa management team to ensure that staff are receiving regular direction, actionable feedback, and career development guidance in coordination with their manager
- Monitoring and facilitating the strong and effective execution of Dimagi’s performance review program at Dimagi South Africa
- Contribute to the strengthening of Dimagi’s performance review program, from the perspective of Dimagi South Africa
- Do all of the above and more, while maintaining Dimagi’s mission and culture!
- BA/MA in related fields of study with 8-12 years experience in Human Resources and Administration
- Strong track record leading HR, including
- Developing and implementing HR policies
- Managing employee relations and HR concerns
- HR processes, such as benefit administration and payroll
- Personnel management
- Experience managing individuals or a team
- Strong track record leading successful local recruitment initiatives, including
- Experience in sourcing candidates through various channels
- Demonstrated experience developing recruitment plans and strategies
- Generalist skill set needed, including ability to manage an office in a startup environment
- Strong Global working knowledge and understanding of HR best practices
- Excellent oral and written English
- Experience and enthusiasm for creating and implementing HR specific staff-wide trainings
Qualities and Knowledge You Must Have:
- Works independently with initiative to manage high volume and sensitive workflow, may structure work of staff members.
- Interacts with diplomacy and tact, and follow-ups on requests in timely and efficient manner.
- Resourceful through technology, research, and relationship-building among several organization teams, units and professional organizations
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Produces detail-oriented work with a high level of accuracy
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem-solve using a collaborative approach with a variety of work functions and cultures.
- Able to maintain confidentiality for sensitive Human Resources issues or projects and use judgment and decision-making to execute duties and responsibilities.
- Possesses working knowledge of employment regulations, e.g. labor/employee relations statutes.
- Comfortable participating in professional HR activities and events to stay current with HR practices.
- Possesses working knowledge of relevant software, including Google Apps, Microsoft Office Suite and Applicant Tracking Systems. Ability to learn new software tools as needed to maximize the efficiency of our recruiting.
If interested, please apply directly through our website. The application deadline is June 24, 2018, we will start reviewing all applications post the deadline.
As a mission driven social enterprise, the position comes with a starting salary that is probably below what you could get working at a larger corporation, and exact compensation varies based on experience. If income is the primary goal for you, Dimagi may not be a good fit. However, we do aim to offer the best benefits possible, including 100% employer sponsored medical insurance , Employees’ Retirement Fund, a stock option plan, access to a flex time policy that allows for employees to work based on a flexible work schedule, 30 days paid time off/holiday, 10 personal initiative days and opportunities to travel internationally, to name a few.