Global Services Team
Dakar, Dakar Region, Senegal
Project Manager, Dimagi West AfricaApply Now
Project Manager, Dimagi West Africa
Dakar, Dakar Region, Senegal
Global Services Team - Full-time
Project Manager, Dimagi West Africa
Title: Project Manager
Organization: Dimagi West Africa
Location of Assignment: Dakar, Senegal
Language(s) Required: English and French
Duration of Contract: 24 months
Founded out of Harvard and MIT in 2002, Dimagi is an award-winning global technology company with an impact-focused business model that delivers open source technology to help underserved communities in over 60 countries around the world. Our team of exceptional software developers, engineers, public health and development specialists, consultants, and field staff apply their experience to further public health and well-being.
What We Do
We work on a broad range of international development issues, including strengthening community health programs, electronic medical records, care coordination, remote data collection, and in various other sectors such as agriculture. We have projects in over 67 countries including Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda, South Africa, Ethiopia, India, Bangladesh, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Madagascar, Mexico, Nigeria, Nicaragua, Kenya, Afghanistan and the United States.
We are highly collaborative with partner organizations, and strong advocates for open-source. At Dimagi, you will have the opportunity to grow your skill set as well as make a real impact across the world. All of our Project Managers spend between 10 - 30% each year traveling to field sites, implementing projects, and interacting with different stakeholders from government officials to end users.
Scope of Work
Dimagi is seeking a Project Manager (PM) to drive the implementation and delivery of a number of ICT4D projects in West and Francophone Africa and support staff that manage those projects. Dimagi’s West Africa team has partnerships with international non-profit organizations to implement national scale digital health systems which will involve the design, development and large scale deployment of mobile applications and data dashboards for community health programs. The PM will be responsible for supporting these interventions in one or more of the following countries: Burkina Faso, Benin, Madagascar and Democratic Republic of the Congo. In parallel, we are also expanding our technology to support small scale farmer holders. The PM will be part of a pioneering team that will demonstrate the value add of enterprise technology for the Agriculture sector.
We are looking for a dedicated and versatile individual who is eager to work in a small, team-oriented, and impact-driven organization. The objectives for this consultancy are:
- Overall accountability for a project, to ensure all business requirements are managed correctly, expectations are coordinated across multiple stakeholders, and deliverables are implemented in a timely fashion.
- Coordination of project teams and senior client relationships, as well as managing the scope and risks of the intervention.
- Leadership and management of multi-year national scale ICT4D programs in the health and/or agriculture sector, working with international non-profit organizations, donors and government stakeholders. Potential for supporting organizations using Dimagi’s technology in other sectors such as microfinance or last mile supply management and distribution.
- Travel around West and Francophone Africa, both to larger metropolitan areas for partner meetings, as well as underserved communities where frontline workers are using our technology to improve service delivery. There may be potential to travel to other offices of Dimagi as well.
Roles & Responsibilities
The consultant will carry out all responsibilities of the Project Manager including but not limited to:
- Managing the coordination and implementation of mobile technology projects, working with project partners, our field team, and an international team of software developers.
- Coordinating, guiding, and mentoring Field Managers and other staff to leverage diverse skill sets and maximize team effectiveness and satisfaction.
- Driving the definition of requirements, design and develop CommCare applications.
- Managing expectations of a wide range of project stakeholders in terms of functionality, scope of the system, and support.
- Coordinating with partners and vendors both within and outside of Senegal to ensure an end-to-end solution.
- Managing projects with an eye to the big picture as it relates to long term sustainability, strategic value and impact of the overall intervention.
- Preparing and maintaining project plans outlining the activities, necessary steps, risks, and dependencies of given work streams as the project progresses and reporting updates on a bi-weekly basis.
- Leading internal and external meetings to review project progress, mitigate risks, coordinate tasks, and ensure quality implementation.
- Working alongside Field Managers in building applications, visiting community field sites, and training partner staff.
- Supervising and managing the growth and career progression of more junior colleagues and conduct their performance reviews using the company framework.
- Maintaining records for hours worked on a weekly basis for responsibilities including but not limited to the ones noted above.
The consultant will report to a Senior Project Manager and/or the Country Director on a weekly basis to demonstrate fulfillment of their objectives and responsibilities. Guidance and support will be provided by the Dimagi West Africa team.
Required Consultant Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering, technology, public health or other relevant fields.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience, including 2+ years of project management experience (accountability for end-to-end project delivery).
- Project management experience. Planning and organizational skills that result in successful implementation and follow through on project-based work.
- Experience of having worked in multi-stakeholder environment.
- Experience successfully managing or leading teams for delivery of large, complex projects (multi-year, donor-funded, large number of stakeholders).
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Professional proficiency (verbal and written) in English and French.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Able to work with a variety of partners and constituents at all levels of the health system including the public health system. May also require working with private sector or government stakeholders in the agriculture sector.
- Able to drive strategic conversations with a range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated initiative and comfort with unstructured problems in a diverse environment.
- Self-motivated team player, with proven capabilities to lead a project independently.
- Ability to work with all levels of an organization and manage conflicts in a constructive and solution-oriented manner.
- Strong, innovative and creative problem solver with good analytical capability.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple project tracks and work streams.
- Excellent time management and efficient working practices.
- Adaptability and interest in wearing many different hats.
- Quick learner, collaborative, and client-oriented.
- Willing to travel at short notice for meetings, project work, etc.
- Passionate about making an impact by serving the underserved.
- Leadership, team empowerment and dedication to move forward despite project challenges.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience working on technology projects or products.
- Experience working in an international team.
- Experience in public sector and government programs, preferably within a West African Country.
- Experience working in the Agriculture sector.
- Data analysis experience a bonus.
Work Schedule and Duration:
This a full time consultancy for a duration of 24 months with a focus on project service delivery. It is expected that you will work with the staff in the Dimagi West Africa office in Dakar, Senegal. There is flexibility to manage your hours and balance office time with working from home upon discussion with your manager.
Dimagi is a family friendly and flexible organization and tries to be accomodating for people who need family time. Consultants can work with their manager to determine time off, and adjust work schedules as needed, on a case by case basis.
The consultancy can be terminated by either party by giving 2 weeks of written notice.
Monthly consultancy fees will depend on level of experience and qualifications but will be competitive with local rates. The consultant will be reimbursed for any travel or business related expenses and medical expenses incurred during the course of work. For consultants not currently based in Senegal, Dimagi will pay for 1 return air fare to and from the consultant’s home base every 12 months during the consultancy. You’ll have a stake in the future success of Dimagi by receiving stock options.
Why this is an amazing opportunity
- Tackle cutting edge problems of using technology for development, daily.
- International exposure to some of the biggest projects in developing countries.
- We are a dynamic execution focused team that maintains a social culture. We are excited to come to work every day.
- Live in Dakar, working with an international multi-disciplinary team.
- Be challenged & fulfilled to make a social impact.
- Our work is fulfilling as you can directly engage with end users in some of the most underserved communities.
If interested, please send your CV and cover letter in English using the "APPLY NOW" button below. Please indicate in the cover letter your specific interest in this role at Dimagi, as well as how you heard about this position. We request that you do not apply for more than one job position at a time.